MOOD DISORDERS ALGORITHM
NOTE: Algorithms should never replace the clinical judgement of a medical professional. While algorithms are helpful guides, they do not capture the art of medicine and should never be used in lieu of a thorough diagnostic evaluation. This algorithm was derived from DSM-5 Criteria and guidelines from the American Psychiatric Association.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC.
- J. Ferrando, J. L. Levenson, & J. A. Owen (Eds.), Clinical manual of psychopharmacology in the medically ill(pp. 3-38). Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Schatzberg, A. F., & DeBattista, C. (2015). Manual of clinical psychopharmacology. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing.
- Schatzberg, A. F., & Nemeroff, C. B. (2017). The American Psychiatric Association Publishing textbook of psychopharmacology. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Publishing.
- Stahl, S. M. (2014). Stahl’s essential psychopharmacology: Prescriber’s guide (5th ed.). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.
- Stahl, S. M. (2013). Stahl’s essential psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific basis and practical applications (4th ed.). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.
- Stein, Lerer, and Stahl. Essential Evidence Based Psychopharmacology.
- McCarron, Robert M., et al. Lippincotts Primary Care Psychiatry: for Primary Care Clinicians and Trainees, Medical Specialists, Neurologists, Emergency Medical Professionals, Mental Health Providers, and Trainees. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009.
- Focus Psychiatry Review, Dsm-5: Dsm-5 Revised Edition by Deborah J. Hales (Author, Editor), Mark Hyman Rapaport (Author, Editor)
- The American Psychiatric Association Publishing Textbook Of Neuropsychiatry And Clinical Neurosciences, Sixth Edition. Edited By: David B. Arciniegas, M.D., Stuart C. Yudofsky, M.D., Robert E. Hales, M.D., M.B.A.
- Hales et al. The American Psychiatric Association Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 6th Ed.
- Goldberg & Ernst. Managing Side Effects of Psychotropic Medications. 1st Ed. 2012. APP