HALF-LIFE: 20 hours
STARTING DOSE: 0.5mg-1mg PO BID
TARGET DOSING RANGE: 4mg-6mg per day
BEST TIME TO DOSE: Bedtime
HOW TO DOSE:
>> Children 33-44 lbs: 0.25mg PO daily for 4-7 days. Increase to
0.5mg per day for additional 2 weeks. Increase dose by 0.25mg/day
every 2-4 weeks
>> Children >44lbs: 0.5mg PO daily for 4-7 days. Increase to
1mg per day for additional 2 weeks. Increase dose by 0.5mg/day
every 2-4 weeks.
>>Adults: Initial 0.5mg-1mg PO BID. Increase by 0.5mg-1mg per day every 2-7 days until response (maximum dose 6mg/day)
PREGNANCY: Minimal data on safety
BREASTFEEDING: Minimal data on safety
1) Schizophrenia, 13yo and older
2) Bipolar disorder (manic/mixed), 10yo and older
3) Irritability symptoms of autism spectrum disorders, 5yo and older
- Atypical at lower doses
- Becomes more typical at high doses (>6mg/day)
- High risk for EPS and prolactin elevation
- Little additional benefit with doses >6mg/day
- Long term depot (consta given every 2 weeks)
- Oral disintegrating tablet (M-tab) and Liquid available
- Moderate risk for weight gain and dyslipidemia
- Cooper, J. R., Bloom, F. E., & Roth, R. H. (2003). The biochemical basis of neuropharmacology (8th ed.). New York, NY, US: Oxford University Press.
- Iversen, L. L., Iversen, S. D., Bloom, F. E., & Roth, R. H. (2009). Introduction to neuropsychopharmacology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Puzantian, T., & Carlat, D. J. (2016). Medication fact book: for psychiatric practice. Newburyport, MA: Carlat Publishing, LLC.
- J. Ferrando, J. L. Levenson, & J. A. Owen (Eds.), Clinical manual of psychopharmacology in the medically ill(pp. 3-38). Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Schatzberg, A. F., & DeBattista, C. (2015). Manual of clinical psychopharmacology. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing.
- Schatzberg, A. F., & Nemeroff, C. B. (2017). The American Psychiatric Association Publishing textbook of psychopharmacology. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Publishing.
- Stahl, S. M. (2014). Stahl’s essential psychopharmacology: Prescriber’s guide (5th ed.). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.
- Stahl, S. M. (2013). Stahl’s essential psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific basis and practical applications (4th ed.). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.
- Whalen, K., Finkel, R., & Panavelil, T. A. (2015). Lippincotts illustrated reviews: pharmacology. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.