HALF-LIFE: 24 hours
STARTING DOSE: 2.5mg-5mg sublingual (SL) BID
TARGET DOSING RANGE: 2.5mg-10mg SL BID
BEST TIME TO DOSE: Any
HOW TO DOSE:
>> Initial 2.5mg-5mg SL BID and increase as needed up to 10mg SL BID
PREGNANCY: Minimal data on safety
BREASTFEEDING: Minimal data on safety
2) Bipolar Disorder (acute manic/mixed episodes), 10yo and older
Asenapine is structurally very similar to Mirtazapine
Sublingual (low bioavailability due to 1st pass metabolism)
Oral Cavity surface area limits size of dose and extent of absorption
Rapidly absorbed and has rapid peak drug levels
Completely dissolves within 5-10 seconds after contact with sublingual mucosa
Oral hypoesthesia (numbness/tingling) is common
No eating or drinking for 10 minutes following administration
Sedation is common due to antihistamine effects
Akathisia may be dose related
Low-moderate risk for extrapyramidal symptoms (movement disorders), Weight gain, and Prolactin elevation
- Cooper, J. R., Bloom, F. E., & Roth, R. H. (2003). The biochemical basis of neuropharmacology (8th ed.). New York, NY, US: Oxford University Press.
- Iversen, L. L., Iversen, S. D., Bloom, F. E., & Roth, R. H. (2009). Introduction to neuropsychopharmacology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Puzantian, T., & Carlat, D. J. (2016). Medication fact book: for psychiatric practice. Newburyport, MA: Carlat Publishing, LLC.
- J. Ferrando, J. L. Levenson, & J. A. Owen (Eds.), Clinical manual of psychopharmacology in the medically ill(pp. 3-38). Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Schatzberg, A. F., & DeBattista, C. (2015). Manual of clinical psychopharmacology. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing.
- Schatzberg, A. F., & Nemeroff, C. B. (2017). The American Psychiatric Association Publishing textbook of psychopharmacology. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Publishing.
- Stahl, S. M. (2014). Stahl’s essential psychopharmacology: Prescriber’s guide (5th ed.). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.
- Stahl, S. M. (2013). Stahl’s essential psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific basis and practical applications (4th ed.). New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press.
- Whalen, K., Finkel, R., & Panavelil, T. A. (2015). Lippincotts illustrated reviews: pharmacology. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.